Welcome from Dean Tofade!
Thank you for visiting the College of Pharmacy website. The College had another successful year. This was largely due to the effort made by the faculty, staff students and alumni. After completing a presentation to the Health sciences board of trustees, I was told that we are doing a good job. We had patents confirmed, numerous publications and invitations to speak by our faculty. I truly agree with our students who say that HUCOP is “one of the best kept secrets”.
As I continue my tenure as Dean of the College I invite you to join this prestigious institution. You will be moved by the passion, culture and ceremonies displaying the richness the College has to offer. My first convocation ceremony brought back memories of commitment and resolve to do what it takes to serve humanity and move the profession forward. Most importantly, I look forward to serving the students, staff, faculty and alumni in any way I can. The work has begun and we are excited for the coming year.
My vision for the College is clear. I would like Howard University College of Pharmacy to become the premier University in teaching, learning, research, leadership and service locally and globally. We must build upon the successes of our great predecessors, carrying the torch of excellence, making sure the world knows we are here to serve, we are here to learn, and we are here to lead.
Students continue to have a variety of opportunities to participate in research, clinical training, and community pharmacy initiatives to enhance the educational opportunities provided through the curriculum. Students are gaining real-world experience in international pharmacy practice through international rotations.
At a board of trustees meeting, I was asked to highlight key points that make HUCOP stand out, our leaders came up with this list:
1. We are situated in the nation’s capital;
- Giving us access to big hospitals, NIH, FDA, USP and pharmaceutical companies where students can have excellent experiential education.
- Student access to government and federal agencies that impact pharmacy law and practice.
2. We have
- 150 years of pharmaceutical education experience.
- A dynamic integrated curriculum complete with inter-professional education, cutting edge research opportunities and experiences.
- A diverse and multicultural environment that facilitates the delivery of culturally competent care.
- Opportunities for students to participate in International Rotations in Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Qatar, South Africa, South Korea, Zambia, and other global sites.
- A competitive tuition among private schools.
- Engaged alumni who give back by serving the institution as preceptors, instructors, faculty, mentors, and donor contributors.
- Ambitious students who are intelligent, inquisitive, conscientious, culturally sensitive, compassionate and possess leadership qualities.
- Competent and nurturing faculty with national and international reputations (1:10 ratio).
- Caring staff who support the students throughout their tenure (Pharmily).
- Pharmacy graduates who serve as leaders in academia, industry, community Pharmacy, and entrepreneurial efforts.
3. We are Leaders! You are not JUST another number, we know your name and face. You will experience the personal touch here. Join us!
There is a lot going on at the College as you will see in the web pages. We look forward to meeting you in person and getting to know you more.
For the parents and guardians of our students, we thank you for entrusting your loved one to us. We raise leaders here and we are honored to have them join a respectable cadre of global leaders. Come by and visit, we would love to meet you as well.
Toyin Tofade, MS, PharmD, BCPS, CPCC.
Dean and Professor
Follow me on Twitter @Hurxdean