Frequently Asked Questions for NTDP Program


Is financial aid available?

The most common source is low interest government loans as well as tax credits for interest on educational loans or for education.

We encourage you to check with your employer for tuition reimbursement or assistance. The questions that you should ask your employer are:

  • Do you need a course grade before submitting for reimbursement?
  • Is there a maximum dollar amount you can submit to your employer in a calendar or budget year?
  • Does the reimbursement vary depending upon the grade you achieve in the class?
  • What does your receiving tuition assistance from your employer obligate you to do? (i.e. Are you required to work 1 hour for every dollar of assistance you receive?)

Will I be considered a full-time student?

Individuals enrolled in the non-traditional pathway at howard University will be considered full-time professional students.

How many trips to the college will there be?

There is one 3 day long required on-site visit. New students are provided an online on-boarding to familiarize themselves with the virtual learning environment and instructional technologies prior to the live orientation day, and for the on-site patient skills assessment training.

There is one optional visit upon completion for graduation and commencement exercises during our spring graduation ceremonies in May.

How or do you get credit for prior work or life experience in lieu of the APPE courses?

Credit is given for an individual’s experience based upon his/her ability to fulfill the requirements of a prior-life portfolio. The portfolio is a detailed submission of documentation validating a student’s work experience in relation to the experiential requirements for the degree. Only 1 out of 3 of the required experiences may be completed in this manner. Students still register and pay for the experiential courses to facilitate grade entry and required curriculum credits.

Can someone transfer to HU and what happens to the credits I have taken?

Yes, you can transfer into the NTDP Pathway at HU. Submit a copy of the transcripts from the college of pharmacy you have been attending for your non-traditional Doctor of Pharmacy degree as these are a requirement for consideration of admission. You will also need to provide a letter of support from the college or college of pharmacy administration speaking to your time as a student and standing. Your credits from other programs DO NOT count as credit towards any of our classes due to the unique design of our curriculum.

When can I start?

The non-traditional pathway at HU has one (1) cohort starting during the fall (August) semester each year.

Is the Non-traditional PharmD Pathway at HU accredited?

The college of pharmacy is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). The accreditation of the college of pharmacy signifies that the traditional and nontraditional pathways are both accredited.

How is the experiential phase of the curriculum accomplished?

It is done in your place of employ as much as possible to prevent you from taking time from work. You will complete either practice or prior-life portfolios to document your achievement of the objectives for the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) in Ambulatory Care, Acute Care, and Medication Information.

Clinical Experiences that cannot be accomplished within your place of employ should be done on a part-time basis proximal to your location that will allow you to work full-time and fulfill the experiential requirements at the same time. It is your responsibility to identify potential sites and to convey this information to the college of Pharmacy at the appropriate time.

  • You will have the opportunity to “opt-out” of up to 1 of the 3 required clinical experiences by successfully completing the prior-life portfolios
  • Clinical experiences will occur on the 4th semester of the NTDP program.


How long does it take to complete the curriculum and when will I graduate?

The requirements will take you around 2 years to complete. HU has graduations three times a year in May, December, and August.

Awarding of the degree and eligibility for graduation will be considered for the next available university graduation provided all requirements have been successfully completed. Practitioners enrolling in August will be eligible for August graduation 2 years later

How does my course work translate into continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit?

The college of pharmacy is an ACPE-approved provider of continuing pharmacy education. Certain didactic courses are approved for continuing education. If you complete the guidelines for CE credit, and meet the minimum passing score on each exam, you will be eligible to receive CPE certificates, after every term while in the program, through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy website.

What if I need to drop out indefinitely?

We realize that there are occasionally unforeseen circumstances which may require that a student temporarily take a leave of absence. It is very important that you keep the college informed if you foresee that you may not be able to continue as scheduled.

After one year you must re-apply, which means that you must fill out the required application forms including submitting the application fee. It is not necessary to re-submit a copy of your pharmacy license, official transcripts, or letters of recommendation.

If you fail to re-apply, you will be dropped from the roster and your log-in access will be denied. Any student who must reapply and be readmitted to the University will not receive any financial credit for outstanding credit hours and will be billed for all courses and credit hours at the current tuition rate. NTDP student must complete his/her program within maximum of five (5) years from the start date.