SHPEP at Howard University is committed to providing an outstanding academically enriched program that is intended to contribute to a culture of health and promote diversity in health care by strengthening the academic proﬁciency and team-based care approach of underrepresented minority and disadvantaged students interested in pursuing careers in the health sciences. Howard offers the medical, dental, nursing, and pharmacy pathways.
Find out more at: http://www.shpep.org/site/howard-university/
SHPEP scholars will experience the following during their dedicated academically intense six-week experience at Howard University:
- Academic enrichment in basic science courses i.e.; General Chemistry, Genetics, Organic Chemistry, Bio- Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy and Physiology (transcript and health professions track dependent). Additional courses for all health profession tracks include Healthcare Ethics and Disparities/Health Policy, Communications (Reading and Writing) and a session in Mathematics.
- “Introduction to Interprofessional Practice &Education”
- IPE Activities: IPE Day Workshop and Discussions, IPE Team Based Simulation Center Rotations and IPE Clinical Rotations, Clinical Simulation Lab, and William Montague Cobb Research Group
- Weekly town hall meetings
- “Careers in Health Professions Seminar”, where faculty members from the disciplines of Dentistry, Nursing and Allied Health, Pharmacy and Medicine will present and meet with scholars
- Student Alumni Panel
- Clinical rotations based on health professions track.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Training (HIPAA Training)
- Trainings: Cultural Competency and Wellness
- Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS)
- US Army Recruitment Center
- Recruiters from local health professions schools
- National Institutes of Health Site Visit
- Will B. Deal SHPEP Financial Literacy and Planning Workshop
- Impact of Civil Rights Laws and Health Care Disparities