Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions for NTDP Program


Is financial aid available?

The most common source is low interest government loans as well as tax credits for interest on educational loans or for education.

We encourage you to check with your employer for tuition reimbursement or assistance. The questions that you should ask your employer are:

  • Do you need a course grade before submitting for reimbursement?
  • Is there a maximum dollar amount you can submit to your employer in a calendar or budget year?
  • Does the reimbursement vary depending on the grade you achieve in the class?
  • What does your receiving tuition assistance from your employer obligate you to do? (i.e. Are you required to work 1 hour for every dollar of assistance you receive?)

Will I be considered a full-time student?

Individuals enrolled in the non-traditional pathway at Howard University will be considered full-time professional students.

How many trips to the college will there be?

The NTDP Program is fully online. Thus, there are no mandatory onsite visits. New students are required to attend 3-day long online onboarding to familiarize themselves with the virtual learning environment and instructional technologies prior to the official start of your classes in late August. There is one optional visit upon completion for our Oath/Awards and Commencement Ceremony in May.

How or do you get credit for prior work or life experience in lieu of the APPE courses?

Credit is given for an individual’s experience based upon his/her ability to fulfill the requirements of a prior-life portfolio. The portfolio is a detailed submission of documentation validating a student’s work experience in relation to the experiential requirements for the degree. Only 1 out of 4 of the required experiences may be completed in this manner. Students still register and pay for the experiential courses to facilitate grade entry and required curriculum credits.

Can someone transfer to HU and what happens to the credits I have taken?

No, the NTDP Pathway Program does not allow the transfer of any credits from other non-traditional pharmacy programs due to the unique design of our NTDP curriculum.

When can I start?

The non-traditional pathway at HU has one (1) cohort starting during the fall (August) semester each year.

Is the Non-traditional PharmD Pathway at HU accredited?

The college of pharmacy is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). The accreditation of the college of pharmacy signifies that the traditional and nontraditional pathways are both accredited.

How is the experiential phase of the curriculum accomplished?

Starting from Fall 2023 semester - NTDP students are required to "complete" a minimum of 1440 hours during their APPE experiences. Each experience must be a minimum of 160 hours and within a minimum of 4 core areas (ambulatory care, medicine, community, health system/institution).

Clinical Experiences that cannot be accomplished within your place of employment should be done on a part-time basis proximal to the location that will allow you to work full-time and fulfill the experiential requirements at the same time. It is your responsibility to identify potential sites and to convey this information to the Office of Experiential Programs at the appropriate time.

  • You will have the opportunity to “opt out” of up to 1 of the 4 required clinical experiences by successfully completing the prior-life portfolios
  • Clinical experiences will occur in the last semester of the NTDP program.

How long does it take to complete the curriculum and when will I graduate?

Students vary in the time they take to complete the requirements. If you are already working in a clinical position and are eligible for 1 prior-life portfolio, then you may be able to complete the program in a minimum of 2.5 - 3 years. If you have not worked in a clinical position, then it will probably take at least 3 - 3.5 years to complete. Graduation is available three times a year in May, December, and August.

Awarding of the degree and eligibility for graduation will be considered for the next available university graduation provided all requirements have been successfully completed.

How does my coursework translate into continuing pharmacy education (CPE) credit?

The College of Pharmacy is an ACPE-approved provider of continuing pharmacy education. Certain didactic courses are approved for continuing education. If you complete the guidelines for CE credit, and meet the minimum passing score on each exam, you will be eligible to receive CPE certificates, after every term while in the program, through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy website.

What if I need to drop out indefinitely?

We realize that there are occasionally unforeseen circumstances which may require that a student temporarily take a leave of absence. It is very important that you keep the college informed if you foresee that you may not be able to continue as scheduled.

After one year you must re-apply, which means that you must fill out the required application forms including submitting the application fee. It is not necessary to re-submit a copy of your pharmacy license, official transcripts, or letters of recommendation.

If you fail to re-apply, you will be dropped from the roster and your log-in access will be denied. Any student who must reapply and be readmitted to the University will not receive any financial credit for outstanding credit hours and will be billed for all courses and credit hours at the current tuition rate. NTDP student must complete his/her program within maximum of five (5) years from the start date.

All times shown are in Eastern Standard Time